The mission of ISC/U+L is to:
- Develop and disseminate a vision of the modern heritage in terms not just of individual setpiece monuments but also of collective planned ensembles and landscapes, on a scale extending to that of the city or region.
- Develop new techniques of recording and analysis appropriate to this collective heritage, and make them available via innovative database or web-based initiatives.
- Establish appropriate recording and conservation criteria for MoMo landscape (as opposed to built) heritage.
- Investigate and compare the viability of recording-based and conservation-based strategies for large complexes and sites under threat, and act as a ‘rescue’ watchdog when appropriate.
- Carry out in-depth international comparative studies of selected building or landscape types, commencing with postwar mass housing.
- Assist in the establishment of new DOCOMOMO working parties in places of special relevance to MoMo urban and landscape heritage.